September 1, 2010
Leader of the Opposition and the President of the CHP Mr Kilicdaroglu calls all the democrats to support his position on the constitutional amendments package put to the referendum.
Please click here to view the letter of Mr Kılıçdaroğlu:
The High Board for Judges and Public Prosecutors (HBJP) should be in compliance with highest and most progressive European values and standards which require that:
1- The Minister of Justice should not be the president of the HBJP and not have powers of domination over the judiciary.
2- The Undersecretary of the Minister of Justice should not be a member of the Board and not have competences to block its functioning and impartiality.
3- The President of the Board ought to be elected by the members of the Board.
4- The authorization to start an interrogation against judges and public prosecutors should not belong to the Minister of Justice but to the HBJP itself.
The AKP’s amendments to be voted on September 12 establish that:
1. The Minister of Justice continues to be the President of the Board.
2. The Undersecretary of the Minister of Justice continues to be a member of the Board.
3. The authorization to rule and represent the Board is given to the Minister of Justice (the executive power).
4. The authorization to start the interrogations against judges and prosecutors is given to the Minister of Justice (henceforth, Turkish citizens will not be able to defend their rights vis-à-vis the judiciary power without the government’s authorization. The actual amendment creates in this respect a very serious breach to the democracy).
5. The authorization to appoint the Secretary General of the Board is given to the Minister of Justice.
6. It decides that the Board will be consisted of three departments by decree but it is stated that the consistency and the division of work will be defined by law. Therefore, it authorizes the government to make any changes that it wants.
For more information and other very important aspects on the Turkish democracy: http://bit.ly/bkxgEsKader Sevinc